VIDEO: PLEASE TURN ON ENGLISH SUBTITLES
● Fry the roughly chopped onion slices in a pan with butter and olive oil for 10 minutes. Let cool.
● Grate the hard cheese in a bowl and set about two tablespoons on the side. Then grate the feta cheese into the bowl, add the yogurt, a pinch of pepper and mix everything together.
● Roll the puff pastry covered by baking paper into 0.5 cm thick rectangular shape. To seal the strudel lengthwise later, transfer it horizontally to a sheet with the help of baking paper. Cover the lower half with the cheese mixture. Spread the roasted and chilled onion on the mixture (set aside 2 tbsp for garnish) and cover everything with the upper half of the dough. Press the joints thoroughly and press them decoratively with a fork.
● Sprinkle the top of the strudel with beaten egg, rest of the cheese and the fried onions.
● Bake for 35-40 minutes at 200 °C in the lower half of the oven. For the final 5-10 minutes, it is better to use the bottom baking mode. After baking, let it cool for at least 15 minutes.
TRY THIS: In addition to onions, you can also improve the raw filling with fresh herbs, garlic, if you like spicy, add chili pepper. Instead of strudel, you can cut the dough into smaller pieces and prepare small cakes or onion pitas. If you mix onions of different colors or varieties, the cake will have a richer taste and a more creative look.
🛒 shopping list:
☉ onions of various colors 300 g (approx. 3-4 pcs)
☉ butter 15 g
☉ olive oil 1 tbsp
☉ feta cheese 150 g
☉ Greek yogurt 100 g
☉ hard cheese (eidam, gouda) 100 g
☉ puff pastry 450 g (for rolling or sheet with a thickness of 0.5 cm)
☉ eggs 1 pc
☉ black pepper
● portions: one strudel / approx. 6-8 pcs ● preparation time: 70 min