VIDEO: PLEASE TURN ON ENGLISH SUBTITLES
● Fry the sliced onion in olive oil (3 tbsp).
● After 5 minutes, add chopped garlic (2 pieces), finely chopped carrots and sweet potatoes. Roast and stir for another 12-15 minutes.
● Add a tablespoon of mustard, mix for another minute and finally add the red lentils and mix thoroughly. Add water (330 ml) and cook for about 7-8 minutes until all the liquid is reduced. Keep on stirring. It is important to cook the lentils only slightly, not to (over)boil them.
● Finish the still hot mixture with a potato press. Season with salt (1 teaspoon), paprika (1 tbsp), lemon juice (1 teaspoon) and a pinch of black pepper. Let cool.
● Grind or mix oatmeal (140 g). Put a smaller part (30 g) aside for the final sprinkle. Work the rest of the oatmeal into the cooled dough together with the finely chopped parsley. Put the finished dough in the refrigerator for at least half an hour.
● From the dough, form smaller balls and coat them in ground oats. Fry for 5-6 minutes in a pan with a small amount of olive oil (approx. 2 tbsp) and gradually turn them or shake the whole pan. If necessary, add additional oil.
● Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan. Add sliced chili pepper, two whole cloves of garlic and a whole stalk of basil. Let it work on a low flame for 2-3 minutes, until all the ingredients taste and infuse the oil.
● Use a blender or mixer to make juice out of a larger and soft tomato and pour it into the base in the pan. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and after 2-3 minutes, add the toasted balls to the base. Dip them briefly, cover with a lid, remove from the heat and leave to stand for at least another 10 minutes.
● Before serving sprinkle with fresh basil. Lentil balls go well with pasta, rice, salad, pita or pastry.
🛒 shopping list:
☉ red lentils 180 g
☉ sweet potato 1 pc (approx. 250 g)
☉ onion 1 pc
☉ olive oil 7-8 tbsp
☉ garlic (cloves) 4 pcs
☉ carrots 120 g
☉ salt, black pepper, paprika
☉ lemon juice 1 teaspoon
☉ mustard 1 tbsp
☉ oatmeal 140 g
☉ basil (stems) 2 pcs
☉ parsley 1 handful
☉ larger soft tomato 1 pc
● portions: 17-18 balls ● preparation time: 75 min (+ dough cooling)