VIDEO: PLEASE TURN ON ENGLISH SUBTITLES
● Cut off the leaves, the roots and scrub the beetroots with a brush under running water. Cut into smaller pieces, place in a baking dish together with unpeeled cloves of garlic and bake for 40 minutes in an oven at 210 °C. Let it partially cool down.
● Soak the almonds in a bowl with boiling water (approx. 200 ml) for 10 minutes.
● Squeeze the baked garlic out of the skin and put it together with the baked beetroot in a food processor. Add the drained almonds and mix.
● Then add salt (1/2 tbsp), juice from one lemon, olive oil (5 tbsp), a pinch of black pepper and Parmesan cheese cut into smaller pieces. Mix until smooth.
● Cook spaghetti in a pot with boiling water. Take 100 ml of boiling water and pour into the food processor. And give it a final round of mixing.
● Combine cooked pasta with beetroot pesto and serve. If necessary, season with salt. Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese.
TIP: Unlike cooked, roasted beets have a much more intense color and taste, which stand out in this combination of ingredients. Bake the beetroot in advance and the preparation of the final meal will then take only 10 minutes, you can bake the beetroot with garlic the day before and store it unmixed in the refrigerator. You can also replace almonds with other nuts. For spicy version: add chili pepper to the food processor. Try using beetroot pesto on garlic toasts as well!
🛒 shopping list:
☉ fresh beetroot 600 g (approx. 4-5 smaller pieces)
☉ garlic 3 pcs (cloves)
☉ lemon 1 pc
☉ almonds 60 g
☉ parmesan 70 g + for topping
☉ olive oil 5 tbsp
☉ salt, ground black pepper
☉ spaghetti 500 g (or any pasta)
● servings: 5-6 ● preparation time: 60 min