VIDEO: PLEASE TURN ON ENGLISH SUBTITLES
● Peel the potatoes, wash them, wipe dry and cut with the peeler into thin slices. Alternatively, use a mandoline, knife or slicer. Chips require thin and uniform slices of potatoes. The thickness decides on the time of baking and crispness, should not be thicker than 2 mm.
● Spread the potato slices on a paper towel. Cover with another paper towel, press and let it chill for at least 10 minutes to get out as much water as possible.
● Rub the dried potato slices gently from both sides with olive oil, transfer to a baking sheet and bake in an oven at 185 °C in fan/hot air mode.
The baking time depends on the potatoes themselves, their juiciness, the baking sheet and oven, too. Bake in the range of 10 to 15 minutes and pay attention in the end of baking. When the edges and thinner parts obtain a golden to brown color, they’re ready. More robust slices should be flipped in the middle of baking. The dose makes two baking sheets.
● After baking sprinkle with salt and dried oregano. Home-made potato chips taste the best when fresh, storing them might influence their crispness. You can also use them as side dish, while till hot combine them with thyme, rosemary or other dried herbs.
● Rub tortillas with olive oil, sprinkle with paprika and cut in half, overlay and cut again. Keep on repeating the procedure until you acchieve the desired size or number of pieces. (If you want to use chips with some dip, larger triangles are preferable.)
● Place the slices on a baking sheet lined with paper.
● Bake in the oven at 160 °C. After 8-10 minutes, flip each piece and bake for another 2-3 minutes. Keep an eye on the chips for the last minutes, they can be burned very fast!
● Season with salt. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container.
● Enjoy crispy tortilla chips as a simple snack or combine them with any dip or sauce. They will remain crispy even when prepared in advance if properly stored.
🛒 Shopping list:
☉ Potato 2 pcs
☉ Olive oil 3 tbsp
☉ Salt, dried oregano, paprika
☉ Tortillas 2 pcs
● Serving: 2 Bowls
● Preparation Time: 20/25 min (when baking two sheets simultaneously)